Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Free Time

Every now and then, I get someone who will ask me "What do you do in your free time?"   I find this a strange, yet annoying question.

What is the motive behind it?  Are they asking because I'm single, and they're not?  or because they can't think of anything fun to do in their free time, so they're trying to gain ideas?  or they're just nosy?  I don't know because I've never really asked someone this stupid question before!   So for the record, here is what I do for fun as a single middle aged woman who works 40+ hours a week!

1- GYM TIME- that includes yoga, Zumba, fitness classes, swimming, and hot-tub/steam-room sitting
2-Tennis ( lessons, games, and workouts)
3- Shopping either by myself, or with a friend
4- Dinners out with friends/dates
5- Concerts, and musical entertainment shows
6- Movies
7- Hiking/walking/bike-riding
8- Reading
9- Meditating
10- Gourmet cooking/baking
11- Taking 2 online courses from Harvard!  (Yeah!)

I love going downtown and exploring new places, I love to curl up and read, in the summer I find a sunny or shady space usually on my lounge chair on my deck and read the afternoon away.  These are all things I like doing in my free time.  I have a pool so in the summertime I have pool parties, and swim for fitness and fun.

I have a large 2500 square foot condo, and as a single person that's a lot of cleaning and maintenance. I do most the work myself, I paint, decorate, make things for the house, refurbish old pieces of furniture, by sanding and painting them in my garage, sometimes I sell pieces for extra income.  I love spending free time puttering around the house making things nice and cozy.  I sew my own pillows, draperies, and other decorative things, I made my own cornice boxes, and installed them, I install all my own window treatments and anything else I need hung, assembled, or installed I do it myself.

I own 2 cars, I get them repaired, or change out the oil, if it's broken I fix it.  I have 2 cats that require a small amount of work, making sure they have food, water, tracking them down if they're lost outside, playing with them.  I have 2 kids, who are very independent but at least once or twice a week require attention from me, for rides, shopping trips, help with resume's bank accounts you name it.

My Condo takes up a lot of my time, just the cleaning, deck maintenance, and garage stuff gobbles up all my free time.  In other words, I'm a full time employee, and a full time homemaker/Mom/repair person.... oh .... and during the summer months I have a little pool maintenance gig on the side.  I wake early before the pool opens up for the day and clean it.  Decks, chairs, and vacuum it all,  check water samples, repair what is broken... you get the idea!

I do all this stuff myself, I don't delegate it out to others, or boss people around, I love the process, the learning part of it as well as the satisfaction of doing things myself, and not just paying someone to do work for me.

I'm always busy with something, so that's why I find this question so odd!  Another thing I do is mind my own business, so you'll never catch me asking someone   "Hey what do you do in your free time?"  Just to be nosy, or who knows what the motive is Seriously!  Sometimes depending on who's asking I think they are just phishing for information,  or they assume because I'm single I sit at home all day and night twiddling my thumbs or something!  Which if that's the motive, that annoys me even more, because single people are the busiest around! ....I wish if they want me to do something with them, just ASK!   I hate people who are vague and call you up to say "Hey what are you doing?" So you tell them, and they really called to see if you wanted to go somewhere with them.  Just ASK!  Because if you ask me what I"m doing, well, I'm ALWAYS doing something interesting, and if your invite is MORE interesting, then you may have a date!   But don't be vague about it, just ASK!

                           
                           One of many favorite hiking spots, up at Snowbird Ski Resort!  Love it up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment