Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sigh

My nonsensical employer has me scratching my head yet again!

You see I applied for a position last fall, a recruiting coordinator, I had some of the qualifications on the list and needed 1-3 years of actual recruiting experience. I applied anyway and got declined instantly, no interview, no call, just a pre-determined "form email" of sorts, saying thanks, but no thanks!

 So fast forward to today, I've since enrolled in some college courses, brushed up on my Excel spread sheet stuff, read informative books on career, and the work place, namely how to get ahead at work.

  Then the other day I see the same job posted yet again on the jobs board.  So I inquire about it with my manager, about getting Excel installed on my laptop so I can brush up on it. I get the old "oh... go speak with IT".... they said  "I don't know....go see someone in HR"  so me running from person to person cause they're all passing the buck in my opinion, I go int the HR office. Here is how the conversation goes:

 me:  " Hi Grant you have a second?"
Grant: " Yes come in"
me: so that recruiter position is open again, and I've been taking classes, and have most all of the qualifications for that position, I'd even be willing to take more classes if I can get to my goal of being a recruiter, but it's difficult because the job I do now, in no way prepares me for this next step."
Grant:  "Well to be honest the classes don't really matter, I know Russ (hiring guy) and he's pretty straight forward, with no prior experience he'll just tell you no, you don't qualify."
me:  "So let me see if I understand this.... the only way to get that position, is if I quit working here... and get hired on by a company I've never worked for, as a recruiter, work there for 1-3 years, then apply back here at this company right?"
Grant: "Yep, that's pretty much what you'd have to do."

My thoughts I keep to myself:   Ummmm...... makes perfect sense to me, hire someone from outside the company, with no proven track record, no tenure, no clue how they'll work out, and allow them to make hiring decisions without knowing diddly squat about the storage industry.....just as long as they've been a recruiter for 1-3 years it's all good.... vs, promoting me, with 6 years of dependable, adaptable, teachable proven track record, knows damn near everything about the storage industry and the koo koo bird culture and protocol here......oh and ranked #2  out of 70 sales agents for the 2nd consecutive month in a row..AND won an award for working so freaking hard......but .......OKAY!
 It says a lot as to why our churn rate is way above the target goal of 30%!

No comments:

Post a Comment